Good Enough = Good

8:00 AM


Why is it that we have a problem with "good enough?"

"We" being myself, the world at large, particularly women who do Pinterest. We think "good enough" means that we don't quite measure up. That we didn't try hard enough. That everyone is judging us. That our identity will be forever linked to that time that we didn't WOW the entire world with our skill-set in doing/creating/baking/decorating/crafting, etc.

I learned a lesson yesterday. I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend tonight, so I spent lots of time at home doing home things (yes, it was a holiday, but it was a study-day for Brandon and I couldn't think of a better way to spend a holiday than in the kitchen making delicious things). I had promised myself when deciding to host a shower the day after a holiday weekend + a weekend where I photographed a wedding, that I would not stress, that I would not put unrealistic expectations on myself and that I would be happy with the results - whatever the results were.
In the midst of my preparation, I learned that Good Enough = Good.
Good - defined as "to be desired of approved of."

I don't have to desire what is "great!" I don't have to set my sights on doing things "better than most!" I don't have to focus on being awesome! (Awesome is way overrated). Being good enough is GOOD.

I'm learning that leading a quiet life is focusing on the "good" (not "great!), the not-so-impressive, the simple tasks. This quiet life can be wonderful, but it certainly doesn't have to impress anyone. That's why it's called "quiet." It's a modest life. It's unassuming and under-the-radar and just good.

"for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you,"
1 Thessalonians 4:10-11

Yesterday's victory happened when my hard-boiled eggs refused to peel properly, and when the cat jumped on the tablecloth-covered table and put a cat-claw sized hole in it. Victory was when my thumb found its way into the top of frosted cupcakes and when we had to go to Walmart to buy bacon because I forgot it. Victory was when I did a nap in the middle of the day on Brandon's suggestion because my sinuses hurt. These are victories because of the peace going on inside me. There was a song on my lips and joy in my heart. 
I enjoyed my work. And it was good (enough).

You Might Also Like

0 comments